So I'm hunting for a new graphics card, and my set of requirements make this a difficult quest. I welcome all suggestions, either as comments, or as email.
I haven't seen any passive cards in the new R7/R9 lines from ATI, not sure if those will come out later only
- MUST be supported by the open-source Radeon or Noveau drivers.
- MUST support at least 3 digital displays (DVI/HDMI/DP etc, not VGA)
- SHOULD be cost less than $300
- SHOULD occupy only one PCI-e slot (trying to avoid double-height cards)
- SHOULD be passively cooled, or after-market water-cooled
- NICE TO HAVE: good 3D performance
Options so far (for further review)
I have tried the following cards already without success:
- Galaxy MDT X4 GeForce210
This card implements 4 DVI in a design like a pair of inline Matrox DualHead2Go units, it mucked badly with the EDID and crashed Noveau.
- Matrox ??? older 3 or 4-head card: only first output supported on open-source driver
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC Edition: radeon driver very buggy when DP used and other outputs
For reference, my monitors are 2x Dell U2410, 1x Dell U2413. So I have DVI/HDMI/DP on all displays, and the U2413 has DP1.2 MST as well.